Thursday, March 18, 2010

An unwelcome visit.

Thailand, Pattaya,
19-03-2010.

I wake up to the not all that unusual but once again persistent knocking on my door, 07.30 h. in the morning and heavy rain slashing against the windows makes me wonder if this hammering on my door could be a whole army of beach sleeping Hot Mommas fleeing from the boulevard, hating to get soaked by this tropical downpour outside, looking for shelter in my room - it has happened before - but no it is Tuk, this affectionate lady I met a few days ago, having come to me with breakfast, two small plastic bags with warm Soaj milk and a huge bag containing chicken nuggets...

"Me like you make painting now, Hans", she informs me while we make serious work of the chicken nuggets. My orange-colored hotel-provided towel wrapped around my waist leaves little to the imagination of what every healthy male suffers from early morning but I contain my male desires telling her I need a few hours more sleep before a serious painting session can start...

It is well after noon before the knock-knock-knock starts again...opening my door to a very different sort of visitor, mister Clyde from New Castle, the Big freeloader and self proclaimed artist/autor of Joy's life story, Joy who is currently supporting his self-destructive life style...he looks it too dressed in his dirty blue denim jeans and sweat-soaked T-shirt, a small bottled of Thai moonshine whisky supported by his left hand and one of his soggy notebooks in the other, pushing me aside brusquely, ignoring the naked body of Tuk who desperately tries to cover herself with the blue bed sheet...knocking his small pair of buttocks on the matrass next to her, checking out the empty cans of Leo from last night for possible remaining portions of stale beer, lighting the Burmese sigar butt he finds in the ashtray and munching on the few remaining pieces of chicken nugget before explaining the purpose of his unwelcome visit...

The idea is very simple, really..we take the bus to Ekkamalai in Bangkok, a taxi to the Klong Thoei area, the slum where Joy grew up, where she spent her childhood pushing a wheelbarrow filled with fruits, trying to sell the stuff to passers-by, her short time working for a diner on Sukumvit Road before getting engaged at a Go-Go Bar on Patpong...yeah I get the idea d*rned well, a field study paid for by stupid MOI...

I take him by the dirty T-shirt collar despite the clammy sweat and push him from the room, a heavy kick in the skinny butt for good measure - much to Tuk's delight - and close the door....Yeah, the little freeloading cr*pper didn't even bother to check out all my acrylic paintings covering the walls....

No comments: