Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dubai, the world of the BIG FINANCIAL PROMISE

Dubai,
12 April 2011.

Wandering through Indian and Pakistani rife Soukhs who offer me gold rolexes - probably as  fake as those sold by their ambulant colleages in Pattaya back in Thailand - and Refrescos stashed in a sort of iron shoebox filled with cubes of ice, busy streets reminding me of the dirt ridden cities of India, Bangldesh, Pakistan maybe where the number of males was staggering but hardly any ladies....didn,t my Loney Planet Guidebook tell me Dubai seriously lacks the female sex with over 75 % of the population being male...

Those ladies I do see are covered in heavy lack carpets with a slit for heavily mascaraed dark pupilled eyes, slender females from the Indian sub-continent showing off colorfull Saris or else Phillipinas and good looking Thais working, no doubt in the Me Baan industry, cheap maids to help out the lazy Emirati housewife...

Still, I wander the streets of busy and comercial Dubai, often feeling dwarved by enormous skycrapers with a weird acihtecture, outrageous shapes of concrete swaps - does every bank and holding company, realty firms and more of those assorted world multinationals that probably have a bigger - or fatter cash book - than some third world countries, want a office here, big competition going on who can erect the biggest, the grandest, the most alien looking piece of tax payer, client rip off financed status, 800 dollar Armani suits travelling the world from one office to the next in first class airline seats, demanding bail outs from embarrased governements...they walk past me in their flanel custom tailored crap holding the latest technology to their ears talking in French or English, German and Hindi...

Whatever, I am just a stupid tourist in a world of the rich, a world of the Big Financial Promise, searching for a virus free internet cafe where African immigrants scream in French and try to get me involved in weird money scams that I have absolutely no interest in -  PLEASE YOU LISTEN TO ME ONLY FIVE MINUTES,  I HAVE A GOOD PROPOSITION TO MAKE - probably better for them than for me...

Maybe a few alcohol free Malt beer - Bavaria or else Five Horses - for back in my 250 Dirham apartment, one of the most expensive accomodations I had so far in my miserable life...

In mere days I will be back home...if I am lucky!!!     

No comments: