Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Narrow Carrers and painfull feet in Girona

Spain, Girona,
23 Nov. 2010.

Small claustrophobic streets, narrow and winding going up the eastern bank of the Riu Onjar, make my poor feet hurt but I push on nonetheless, convinced to make this second daytrip out of the Catalunya capital another success number though Girona is a totally different day excursion as Sitges was...

It were the Germanic members of the Frank tribe that first kicked the Muslim asses out of Gerona, a serious step in a 800 year war called La Reconquista that considering the huge influx of Marruecos in Barcelona is still in full swing today...none of that in Girona though, no Hallal Cacuterias, nor Arab speaking olive colored men in the narrow Calles of this colorfull city surrounded by mountain ridges and full with foreign students from northern Europe, tourists speaking Dutch, German and Swedish pass me by while I struggle up and down these narrow alleys, trying hard to ignore my painfull feet...

Sitting grandly at the top of these winding narrow Carrers. is the fine looking cathedral, majestic steps rising up from La Plaza De La Catedral, a nice baroque facade glinting under a late Spanish autumn sun, almost as though greeting me and heralding my Actividades De Dolor...shit, my feet are really killing me...

I move down slowly, down another set of weathered stone steps, through another maze of narrow alleys, to  another fine looking church, my free city map - Gracias be to the local Oficina De Turismo - tells me it is called Esglesia De Sant Feliu, a couple of Euros put into a slot and in I am, as always wondering why I have to pay money to enter the house of god, finally some rest for the lowest parts of my body...

No comments: