Friday, January 22, 2010

Sketching young Thai ladies

Thailand, Ayuthaya,
22-01-2010.

Bus load after bus load unloading young Thai visitors - probably from Bangkok - all dressed in the habitual yellow t-shirts given out for free to the whole Thai nation a few years ago as a sign of honor to sixty years of King Bhumipol's rule - yellow is the royal color in this Asian monarchy.

All of a sudden I find myself surrounded by young Thai teenage ladies, all wanting their picture taken with the Dutch Farang artist, be on the photo with a blond Farang male so they can show off at home to friends and relatives, all of them wanting to see my sketch book I was only moments ago quite happily and totally undisturbed working on, Lord Buddha and stupas, Chedis and sketches of people around me - all of them want to pose for me, get their caricature or maybe a portrait done, see how the Farang from Europe will see them through the aid of charcoal and black pen, water colors to finish it of...

By the time they are finally gone I have lame fingers and my pencils have become blunt, my eyes unfocused and I secretly wonder what my newly found artist friend, Peter Klashorst, would think had he seen the little commotion - me surrounded by dozens of young Thai students all of the female gender bringing me free cans of Coca Cola while patiently waiting for their portrait - good thing I went to the market yesterday to get more drawing paper...

Makes me wonder too what my estranged family far away in that Farang Land called Holland, would think had they been there - more then twenty years of total ignorance on my part, never telling them about the cousins they have here so far away from their dutch Southern country side - though I have known for some time Charlotte's mother added them to my blog role...

For the last two days I have been flirting a bit with Miss Jintana from across the road, the lady I rent my bicycle from and though of about my own age she considers herself way too old for me, "better you get young lady, me too old for you". Today she told me " tonight I'll come knock-knock-knock on your door". nothing like Thai ladies to flirt with, hehehe!!!

No comments: