Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back in the Zone

Thailand, Bangkok.

It is only 15 Baht for the single two hour journey by Royal Thai Railway to Ayuthaya, the old capital of Siam and a Mekka for the enthusiastic Wat and Temple buff. The ruins of the former Siam Kingdom's religious obsession with Wats are to be seen all over this cozy little island village, quite spread out though so you'll need a bicycle, easily obtainable from the many guesthouses for a meagre forty Baht.

I'm joined by a friendly grey haired Farang and his two young Leuk Kreug sons. His Thai is easy and relaxed and I suspect he must have been living in this Asian Kingdom for a while. Watching them interact and eavesdropping on their conversation brings my tortured mind back to 1994 when I was in this very same train together with Nong and Joy, my old German mate Joseph, his lady Moo and their two Leuk Kreug girls, the great week we had here, two mixed race couples and their mixed race kids running around the ruin grounds, speaking German, English and Thai...

Reminding me once more how quick things can change, Joseph is no more, Moo back to her Hot Momma job on Pattaya's boulevard, Nong back to her Sugar Daddy obligations and me travelling around the globe...STILL...my old and bulky backpack strapped to my shoulders, my only real friend during my long and solitary trips around Mother Nature's wonders, the mad and chaotic human populated cities I hiked around endlessly and without purpose, the long and exhausting cycle trips trying to wildcamp in dark forests...

So I am on the way back to Ayutthaya, alone this time and after my little visit with Peter Klashorst the Enfant Terrible of the Dutch art scene, I feel inspired, I FEEL LIKE I AM BACK IN THE "ZONE", ready to draw temples and Wats, Buddha figurines and massive statues depicting the Greatest of Mankind, maybe a quick visit to a local artshop to get some spare material, might come in handy too next month when I will hit Pattaya, hard and heavy if my former trips to this madhouse ar anything to get by, that 24 hour party place that many lonely European males consider the Male Kingdom of Southeast Asia, the location their hearts are pining for when they slave away for a dominant boss back in native Europe, counting the days left before they can board that Eva Air plane again....

"Excuse me, sir but we have arrived at Ayutthaya" the grey Farang Dad tells me, adding apology upon apology for speaking Thai to his sons the whole trip who smile at me shyly.

No comments: