Saturday, January 16, 2010

My old haunt, soi Ngam Dupli

Thailand, Bangkok,

No more of my artwork on this site though I am working on my sketchbook like mad, running around the city hoping for great street sights to draw, maybe enjoy a cold Leo while making a quick sketch in my scrapbook, a different way of photography I guess...

The old tourist area around the malaysia Hotel - made famous during the shooting of Good Morning Vietnam, I still remember all the messages on the hotels notice boards asking for shorttime actors for the role of an American GI - has turned into a gay district with Gay saunas and homo oriented hotels, quite a change from the Pick-Up-Your-Chick kind a neighborhood it used to be say twenty years ago. Coming home late at night from my countless bar hopping nights, I would get besieged by local Hot Mommas eager to make some shortttime money before all the Farangs would be back in bed sleeping the sleep of the innocent, drunk on mekhong whisky.

Times change as the always do and I find myself back walking down Soi Ngam Dupli, on my way to my favourite haunt Kenny s Place for a cold leo beer trying hard to avoid the horny eyes of young local gay guys probably just as keen on making some Thai baht on a quick shorttime as the Hot mommas I remeber so well from my own Farang past in this colorfull part of bangkok.

I have come a long way since these early days, an old hand to a mystic oriental realm that feels comfortable but still just within the grasp of my Western trained Farang mind...

No comments: