Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Peter Klashorst, the"enfant terrible" of the Dutch art scene

Thailand, Bangkok,
19-01-2010.

At exactly 14.00 hours I arrive at Mister Peter Klashorst's residence way beyond Sukhumvit Road. Peter Klashorst, according to many art critics the "enfant terrible" of the Dutch art scene, aka the Rabit that is named Klashorst because of his habit to paint African beauties, naked or portret and sleeps with them afterwards which makes me wonder if ever I would get famous with me artwork...well, what would these same art critics consider me to be, maybe a Farang rabbit in Thailand.

Peter turns out to be quite the likable bloke telling me about his life in Africa, his affairs with black beauties and, of course his times in African rat holes aka prisons you know - showing me all his unfinished paintings in his condo and treating me to a couple of free beer despite his bad financial situation, boasting about all the models that quite literally wreck his front door - not all that unusual to me when I spend my time in that male Farang kingdom called Pattaya where the Thai Hot Mommas are always happy to pose for me, happy with a red colored 100 Baht in the pocket for modelling services rendered, often coming to my room well after midnight bringing with them driftwood from the beach to paint on or else Thai newspapers that will do just as fine as far as acrylics go.

Similar life styles and a mutual interest in art makes conversation easy and comfortable between us and Peter turns out quite different from what the Dutch newspapers want us, the Nederlandse Bevolking, to believe - I don`t see much harm in sleeping with your models really, especially so when you pay them 2000 Baht for a modelling session - sh*t three in a row, in Pattaya I pay them a 100 Baht though I help them out with medical care, free drinks, a place to crash when they have no Farang Tilak and often let them take the portret with them after finishing.

I just wonder how many of my portraits are adourning the walls of simple huts in these dusty Isan villages, A way for Mum to remember her daughter who is making the dough for Pho' little poolhall hobbies the hard way - by now you should really know the double function of poolhalls in the Isan if you have been following my blog for a while...

Once back outside with my Dutch Farang *ss firmly planted on the back of a Bangkok motorbike taxi, my long white legs pushed against the drivers' hoping desperately I`ll survive another open air taxi ride and with my knee caps hopefully unscafed by the mirrors of passing cars, I feel once more inspired to paint, to draw, to see something creative coming out of my own hands, something pleasing to look at, one more memory for the walls in my old cr*ppy house in Amsterdam, or else a piece of driftwood painted with acrylic paint and hanging on a wooden wall up in the northern Thai impoverished provinces.

No comments: