Saturday, December 18, 2010

shoefiti in Barcelona

Holland, Amsterdam,
18 Dec. 2010.

I saw quite a few sneakers dangling from electricty cables, telephone wires and the like, during my recent stint in Barcelona...having seen this little bit of remarkable urban art in other big cities, I wondered about its significance...

Asking around in the numerous bars of Barcelona, searching the web and reading about this weird habit in the El Pais gave me the following bit of interesting information:

First of all it is called Shoefiti and is not exactly indigenous to the street and alleys of Barcelona...

For example in The States it often indicates a place of drug selling nearby...

City art...

But also a sign of respect to a gang member shot in a gang-related shooting...

Take your pick I would say. 

No comments: