Thursday, December 2, 2010

Neighbors in cold Amsterdam

Holland, Amsterdam,
02 Dec. 2010.

Small flakes of snow come down in huge numbers leaving Amsterdam under a blanket of cold white wedness in solid form that is slowly becoming thicker and thicker, with the people in my street wrapped in several layers of clothes, some of them swearing under their wrap-around scarfs about this cold and good for nothing city, while they pass me by, me standing here on my usual spot in front of my old brick house, sketchbook in hand despite the frostbite quickly setting in in my already numb hands...

But then I am desperate for some people sketches, cold or no cold...maybe this interracial couple walking by, that black small man with his shaven head, no bonnet despite the biting cold, hanging on as though for dear life to his woman's arm...a woman nearly half a head taller, nearly double his size and definitely several years his senior...

Five minutes is all they give me but it suffices for this drawing...and I find out in the process that she picked up her HUSBAND - streching the name with vehemence - during a vacation in The Gambia, love at first sight and enough dough in her bank account to convince the Dutch Vreemdenlingen Politie - Dutch for the alien police service - she could affort her HUSBAND's financial needs...

Just to be on the safe site I drew her a bit less fat as she really was!!!

No comments: