Saturday, February 20, 2010

Back in Phnom Penh

Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Boeng Kak Lake Area,
20-02-2010.

A vibrant and chaotic city full with life, street vendors and multrible markets where apperently everything you could think of is for sale and probably even a bit more, countless Remorks and motortaxis hassling me at every street corner while i walk the short distance to the Boeng Kak Lake Area which is the main budget guesthouse centre in Phnom Penh...

Three years ago I arrived on the back of a motortaxi whose driver was so determined to get me into the guesthouse of his choise he drove me all the way up the wooden boardwalk to the reception making sure he would get his commission - needless to say I decided to walk this time already knowing the area after all..

I also remember I got dragged away from Phnom Penh by a lovesick Polish woman just two days after arrival having planned to stay at least a full week, a week full of walking , visiting the numerous museums, the oh-so-typical Asian lively markets and just wandering around its busy and dusty streets full with people on a mad search as usual for subjects for my sketchbooks and photographic opportunities - instead I ended up in the sharp long-nialed claws of that Polish nympomaniac who dragged me off to Anchor Wat and then straight on to Kho Samet, making sure her last two weeks of her yearly three week holiday were full with tropical sun on a light-brown colored sandy beach with enough male attention to fullfill her physical needs....

Well, it takes two to dance the tango, so lets not be too vindictive and concentrate on this "new" city in my life, prepare myself emotionally for tomorrow's visit to Number One Sh*thole's extermination and torture school for the fanatic students of his crazy reign the Toul Sleng Museum, the Killing Fields just outside the city and more of this gruesome sh*t that I have no doubt will be an attack on all my Western trained senses, will doubtlessly turn my tear ducts into disarray...

No comments: