Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Two friendly Thai monks at the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam

Amsterdam,

I met these two friendly Thai monks at the Anne Frank House today, still sweaty and the penetrant smell of cow shit and pig urine hanging around me notwithstanding - having just arrived at my Plekkie after my shift of voluntarily cleaning stables at the Westerpark Kinderboerderij, that petting zoo where I have been doing my "thing" for nearly eight years now, two mornings a week of hard work and no pay but the friendly smiles of neighborhood youngsters and their parents my greatest reward - they were quite willing to give me some of their precious monkhood time to pose for me...

Being dressed in their tradional orange Thai monk robes and one of them even carrying his Bindabaad alms bowl atracted quite the scene despite today being a quiet day with hardly a queue  to speak of, a remarkably short line of people waiting to see the world famous Achterhuis on the Amsterdam Prinsengracht...

ten minutes of drawing and nine games sold, a free coffee from a Texas family man whose huge beef belly fell well over his cattle belt - where have I recently seen that before? - "well done, mate", in his Texas drawl while handing me my capuccino, hot and steaming,  sugar free, just the way I like it...

Thanks to all the other international tourists watching me sketch Thai monks and paying me all these compliments, I appreciated it...hope the viewers on the Sacred Internet enjoy these drawings too!!! 

   

No comments: