Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Along El Camino, three days of walking

Los Arcos, 25 nov. 2011

Not the first time I walk El Camino De Santiago De Compostela, though this time it seems more intense with the Camino having beciome a hype, the Albeques nearly full with Peregrinos from all over but still not as busy as in El Verano De Espanya when the roads are full with 1000s of hikers, having to sleep in the main squares of the villages the Camino passes along the way...

Still, I spend most of my walking hours alone, avoiding the company of other hikers, having come here with a heavy militay boots and even a heavier backpack that contains much more as I really need, that cuts into my shoulders with a vengeance, just the way I like it, testing myself once more to my limits...

When everybody takes the easy route, I take the off the beaten track detour, hiking through Bosques and hilly vineyards where the local Campesinos greet me friendly and amaibly, where my feet hurt like mad because of stones littering the path...

My head empty and devoid of thoughts, not even the two o´clock afternoon Menu del Dia can hurry me despite my empty belly - no breakfast but testing myself to the limit, remember - and when I finally check into a Refugio I collapse upon my bunk bed for several hours before going out to buy my necessary Botella De vino Tinto Para Pasar La Noche...

FOUR DAYS OF WALKING NOW WITH ANOTHER 27 COMING....

No comments: