Thursday, November 10, 2011

Along El Camino, 19 days of walking

Villafranca, 10 nov. 2011.

The fire in the Albergue Municipal is hot and comfortable, my cheap wine from the local Supermercado is dark red and tasty to the palate, making me feel sleepy and pensive at the same time...

Small surprise after the longest day of walking yet, nearly nine long hours along highways and small ancient footpaths where the abundance of small and bigger stones was painfull my poor feet - nothing to complain about after two and a half weeks of daily walking these roll stone Caminos, slippery to the touch of my army issued boots, downhill makes me feel like I am risking my bones and even very life, but as I have said before Defiantly putting one army boot clad foot in front of the other, thinking about all these Peregrinos I have left behind, sitting on the toilet in the morning nursing the countless huge blisters covering heels and soles, toes and upper part of their feet, plasters and bandages drained in blood and yellowish pus...

I think about the seemingly endless vistas of the high Mesetas, the mentally fatiguiing feeling of small stone covered sandy paths, desolation and without a purpose...the enormous toll this takes on my mind and bodily wellfare...

The dormitories where fellow Peregrinos snore loudly, fart without shame and noisily turn on their other side in the bunk bed above mine...

The erotic images of ladyfriends and the sexual encounters I had with them filling my conscious mind while I drag on - defiantly moving forward - seemingly purposeless - my male equipment that normally is so quick to react to these sexually stimulating mental images, can´t be bothered anymore...I guess real fatigue is setting in here!!!

A little bit over two hundert kilometers remain...one more week of defiantly putting one heavy and painfull army issued boot in front of the other equally tired and painfull Gringo foot...

No comments: