Monday, January 10, 2011

Phom Tong Kan Pop Khun, I see you now Phom Tilac

Holland, Amsterdam,
10 Jan. 2011.

Phom Tong Kan Pop Khun, Phom Tilac...I still remember these words, vividly remembering to hatred for the bars between us while we chatted together, nearly twenty-five years ago now, her young oriental face smiling broadly at me, giving me the daily food and strong black Thai tabocco we - her brother and me - would smoke rolled in strips of Thai newspaper...

 I still remember the yellowish foul smelling fumes coming out of that stinking hole in one corner of that overpopulated police station holding cell, the basin opposite with its plastic container used for showering and cleaning your *ss after having a sh*t with brackish light brown colored water...the light that was on for 24 hours a day, how I slept on the hard wooden floor with my T-shirt wrapped around my eyes, trying hard to forget the blood sucking mosquitoes...trying hard to forget about the huge cockroaches living underneath that floor and the even bigger rats that chased them...

I still remember my painfull bruised body, the result of a bit of Thai Thamruat fun, the Farang is here on fighting charges so fight he will, down in the courtyard with half the local neighborhood's population paying one hundert Baht for the police "retirement fund" to watch the show and get into the Thai's favorite hobby, bet on the outcome of these Muay Thay boxing bouts, red earth invading my facial wounds whenever I got knocked down again, being dragged up again by these hated Thai Thamruat coppers who good-humouredly cheered me on...

But in the end I fell in love with the Thai ways, was looking forward to Nong's daily visits, bringing food and strong black-colored tabacco for her brother Jamie and me, the daily chats with this young lady of the night who told me her trails and tribulations, countless beatings and brutal Mau to the max Farang males from the Rich West, with a smile on her beautifull oriental face, like geting your face smashed in, being brutally raped an*lly by s*x-straved drunk f*cks from Europe was Pas De Problem...

Her casual way to the harshness of life itself was what made me survive mentally intact an ordeal that was nothing to speak of but felt like hell itself to an unexperienced kid I was at the time...

The photo is made on Pattaya's boulevard a few months later...sh*t, were we young then...in mere days I will see her again...

No comments: