Monday, November 3, 2008

Bird Poop


I wake up early due to the rowdy sounds of the starling clan that has taken up permanent residence in the trees of the inner garden behind my house. I was sure they would migrate soon enough to their wintering place somewhere in south Engeland, apperently they`ve decided that the pickings, the human garbage of a city like Amsterdam, are more than abundant enough to sustain them through the winter. Why bother to fly over a fast expanse of sea to a cold and rainy England when the pickings can be just as good right here in their summer city where the streets are full with left over greasy patatas fritas and garbage bags clawed open by stray cats?

In the beginning, just a few weeks ago I actually quite liked this show of city bird life, wellcoming their noicy appaerance each late afternoon just before nightfall, their flying antics in flocks of huge numbers before settling down for the night in their sleeping trees.

However, by now the enormous quantities of starling bird poop under these slepping trees has started to produce a horrible stink, I`ve to keep my windows closed if I wanna keep this shitty smell out.

No comments: