Friday, March 15, 2013

An encore performance

Bangkok, 15 March 2013.

Bangkok, this so-called city of angels, is as polluted as ever, sweltering under the noon sun, crowed and disorganized, noisy like a bee-hive in full activity, and falling apart at its seams, still having an air of familiarity and a weird attraction though, almost like coming home...

A wrinkled old man, speaking the Isan dialect, wanting to know if I need a taxi while I wait patiently for my pack, no meter but only Song Roi THB to Khao Sarn road, pushed aside by a younger man of lighter complexion, only Nung Ha Sip THB This time, maybe I should walk out of Ekkamai bus station and try my luck in the stifling heat...

This is after all, an encore performance of former times and I really do need a bit of a walk after two hours in a Thai chicken bus, heavy backpack and Bangkok heat, crowded pavement and all that, hail down a motorbike taxi and risk getting my calves scathed while my driver overtakes city buses and countless taxies jammed bumber to bumber in a 24/7 traffic jam...

Get my Farang head together after the emotional love turmoil of these last couple of weeks back in Pattaya, getting attached full time to Miss Endu, not something easy for a full time womanizer like me...

Searching for words of goodbye and Adios last night, trying hard once again to soften to impact of lovers parting, the mutual flow of tears at Tschuess, Tschuess as they say in Sauerkraut Country...seem to remember through the haze of Red Wine induced drunkenness of last night's party that I fancied telling her I had to go to Bangkok on a mission for the Dutch secret service looking for Al-Qaeda Tuk-Tuk drivers in my capacity as a counter-terrorist agent in the Land Of Smiles but doing so only made her laugh out loud....

Maybe she is rich but certainly she ain't stupid so in the end I just told her the truth...I have a low threshold for bonding with the opposite sex, have a problem with rejection issues and need to get rid of a woman before she gets rid of me, a male ego issue at its very height here I guess..

The truth is never very appealing and for me this, after all, is an encore performance!!!

No comments: