Saturday, February 14, 2009

Back in Penang

Malaysia, Penang.

Spending much more time in Krabi as planned, I did manage to get my ass on a airco minivan to Penang yesterday. A whole day of being locked up in the closed convinement of a thai airco minivan eventually got me and my fellowe travellers - two young french couples on their first budget trip in Southeast Asia - to this chaotic, multicultured and very funky city that has got a strong chinese feeling to it intersperced with muslim amd indian admospheres.

Spending my sleeping hours at the chinese hotel - I would rather call the place a rat house - Lip Peng where the foyer is inhabited by old chinese men, shirtless and in shorts, bedbugs aplenty and the ever present mozzies, light and fan switches outside the room and roilets downstrairs - witgh toilet paper though, let me be honest about that part!!!

An old grey haired farang on the first floor eating his evening meal, like the old chinese downstairs shirtless and dresswed in dirty shorts, an enormous belly full with indfian food no doubt, reading his english paper.

Not my first time in Penang but I plan on taking the ferry to Sumatra from here, 220 Ringet for a return ticket.

First things first though....several days of hiking and cycling, making notes and drawings in my sketchbook for my internettravelblogs and basically hanging out and having a good time before the Sumatra adventure.

No comments: